What Is Good Mileage for a Used Car?
When you’re looking for a reliable used car in Alton
and Edwardsville, it can be tough to suss out which model is right for you. After all, there are so many factors that go into picking the perfect used car. Our Federico Kia guide to used car mileage will help you answer many of the FAQs we get every day, including “what is good mileage for a used car?” and “what is considered high mileage for a used car?” Don’t hesitate to contact Federico Kia if you have any questions
What Is Considered High Mileage for a Used Car?
As used cars age, maintaining them gets more expensive. Most drivers consider 100,000 miles or more to be high mileage, but many modern vehicles have been engineered to last far past 200,000 miles with proper maintenance. And while drivers always look for the best mileage for used cars, there’s no one-size-fits-all answer.
Keep in mind that the average driver puts about 10,000-12,000 miles per year on their vehicle, and consider these following points:
- Usage: A vehicle that has been driven for 50,000 miles in stop-and-go city traffic will likely wear down faster than one that drove the same amount of miles on open highways. Try your best to get the previous owner’s driving history before buying.
- Condition: You’ll want a certified mechanic to take a deeper look at the vehicle’s condition to determine if there are any mechanical issues or rust that may need to be handled sooner rather than later. These problems should be factored into your budget.
- Location: When a vehicle is driven in a warm, dry climate, it will have taken on less wear than one driven in a wet, cold climate.
- Maintenance: Get the maintenance history of the used vehicle so you can see when it has had routine maintenance services like tire rotations and oil changes. If the vehicle’s service history is spotty, this could lead to expensive problems in the future.
More to Consider When Buying a Used Car
However, the odometer reading is only one factor to consider! Also keep these following points in mind.
- Model Generation: Sometimes when a model is redesigned it gets significantly better or significantly worse than the models from the previous generation. Check review sites like Kelley Blue Book or Edmunds.com to learn more.
- Vehicle History Report: A vehicle history report will show things like repair reports, collisions, police records, and DMV records, which may indicate more about vehicle’s condition.
- Location: The Vehicle History Report will also tell you where this car has “lived”–dryer climates like southern California are gentler on vehicles than places with lots of humidity or harsh winters.
- Foreign Luxury Car Brands: Shipping high-end replacement OEM parts overseas is expensive and takes time, so luxury vehicles can become more expensive to repair over the years. However, many luxury brands have excellent warranty coverage for certified pre-owned models, as well as dealership perks while your car is being serviced.
Find Your Next Used Vehicle at Federico Kia
Federico Kia offers a selection of low mileage used cars for sale for you to choose from, all of which have been inspected by our expert service technicians. If you have any questions for our team, don’t hesitate to contact us online today! We’ll help you choose the perfect used model to enhance your drives through Godfrey and .